If you’re heading out of town for an extended period of time – two weeks or more – you may be wondering if you should board your dog for that length of time.
Read below for the pros and cons of doing so:
- If your dog is your only dog, boarding him takes care of the problem of the dog being lonely for hours at a time while the pet sitter is away from your home. Boarding at a kennel such as Barney’s Ranch means he’ll able to play with other dogs for hours on end. (The equivalent of heaven for dogs!) He’ll never be lonely.
This cute little Westie will have a great time playing outdoors with other dogs here at Barney’s Ranch.
- Any special needs – such as special diet foods and medication administration – will always be given on time, very time.
- There always will be a human around in case of emergency. Even live-in pet sitters leave the house for hours on end sometimes.
- You may receive a discount for stays of 10 days or more. Check with your boarding facility to see if it offers discounts. (Barney’s Ranch does offer special rates for stays of 14 days or longer. Contact us for details.)
- The longer a dog stays in a boarding kennel, the more personal attention he needs. If your dog is exceptionally attached to you, he may need more attention than his human caregivers can offer.
- Dogs may become very attached to their caregivers the longer they stay and they may not be as happy to see you – and leave with you – if they’re here for 30 days or more.
Barney’s Ranch can – and often does – board dogs for stays longer than two weeks. We find that well-socialized dogs do enjoy their stay of up to 30 days. Still, we don’t recommend stays of longer than a month.
If you feel you must board your dog for 30 days or more, discuss your needs with your boarding kennel.
We find that canine guests at Barney’s Ranch really enjoy their overnight boarding stays with us. They get to romp every day with other dogs in our 8,000 square foot outdoor yard every day.
For more information on boarding stays of longer than two weeks, call us at 469-450-7040 or send us a message via e-mail at info@BarneysRanch.com.
Image courtesy of debspoons/FreeDigitalPhotos.net